Web Banner
Back to Conference Home Page

COVID Contingency Plan

OWASP New Zealand Day 2022

IMPORTANT NOTE: This plan is subject to change, pending the NZ Government’s decision on when Auckland will transition to the new COVID Protection Framework (traffic light protocol), as well as receiving the university’s updated event policies aligned with the Protection Framework. Once we have that information, we’ll update this Contingency Plan to align with those.

Our Approach

The OWASP New Zealand Day planning team recognise the importance of holding an in-person event, if possible. For this reason, we’ve elected to go forward with planning on the assumption Auckland will be in COVID Alert Level 1 in February. We’re inviting trainers to propose in-person or online training, as suits their circumstances and comfort level with in-person gatherings.

Conversely, we must also recognise there’s a significant chance Auckland won’t be at Alert Level 1 in February. To allow for this possibility, we have confirmed contingency dates with AUT, in July. If necessary, we’ll reschedule the conference to the contingency dates; however, we will not reschedule a second time. If Auckland is at Alert Level 2 or higher in July, we’ll modify the conference’s format, instead. AUT’s campuses are closed at Alert Level 3 or 4, which would require the conference to shift to a fully online format; at Alert Level 2, we can accommodate a smaller in-person gathering to create a “broadcast” event (subject to the government’s updated ‘Delta Level 2’ restrictions), with main conference delegates participating remotely and most in-person training proceeding as planned.

A key element of our plan is that all portions of the conference will be broadcast via live stream from a dedicated media site, so anyone concerned about taking part in person has the option to participate remotely, regardless of the COVID Alert Level. Similarly, we can accommodate a limited number of remote presentations, even at Level 1, so we can accommodate any speakers with such concerns.

Disposable face masks and hand sanitiser will be made available throughout the conference, to help everyone stay safe.

Key Milestones

Decision Stage One - Planned Dates

Decision Stage Two - Contingency Dates

In the event the conference is rescheduled to the contingency dates, the following strategy applies to the event on those dates.

On 7 June, four (4) weeks before the beginning of the conference on it’s contingency dates, the conference team will review the COVID Alert Level in Auckland, and proceed as follows:

Decision Stage Three - During the Event

If the conference is operating under COVID Alert Level 1, and the government announces a change in the Alert Level for Auckland during the conference:

If the conference is operating under COVID Alert Level 2 (in July), and the government announces an increase in the Alert Level for Auckland during the conference: