Diversity and Financial Aid Fund
OWASP New Zealand Day 2023
Applications for support through our Diversity and Financial Fund will open on 1 March, and will be accepted on a continuing basis, until 15 June (or sooner, if funds are exhausted).
Through the generous support of our lovely sponsors, we will have some funding available to help people from around New Zealand attend the OWASP New Zealand Day conference, who would otherwise find it hard to attend. In particular, we welcome applications from women, people of colour, LGBTQ2IA, Pacific Island indigenous peoples, and all others. You all deserve to be able to learn more about security, and we’ll do our best to help make that happen!
For participants from within New Zealand, support provided by the fund can include waiver of the conference registration fee, return airfare to Auckland, an allowance for accommodations in Auckland, an allowance for taxi/Uber fares to/from the airports, and lunches at the conference venue. Other meals and incidentals (including conference t-shirts) are at your own expense.
If funds are available, support may be extended to a limited number of applicants from outside New Zealand. For such applicants, support provided by the fund will be limited to an allowance for accommodations and taxi/Uber fares in Auckland (i.e., no assistance will be offered for international airfares).
Thanks to the generous support of our sponsors, and our training instructors, a limited number of fee waivers/discounts will also be available this year. On the application, you can indicate if you’d like to be considered for a training fee waiver, and provide your class preferences. If selected to receive a fee waiver for classroom training, your award will include accommodation for the training day(s), as well.
Our funds are limited, and we’ll be reviewing applications every week, starting in mid-December. Submit your application soon, so we can approve them promptly, and you’ll be in several review cycles!
- Fill out our Application Form (Available 1 March)
- We will review and approve applications each week. The first reviews will be completed by 13 March.
- We will contact all applicants and let them know the results of the review.
- Successful applicants are responsible for booking their own travel and accommodations.
- Diversity fund travel support is provided as a reimbursement, after the conference, of actual expenses incurred up to the specified allowance for each item.
We use the following criteria to help us decide who gets approved:
- We are biased towards (but not exclusively for) diverse applicants.
- We do attempt to maximise cost efficiency and will aim to get as many people to the event as possible, with our limited funds.
Applicants’ and funding recipients’ identities will not be disclosed to anyone outside the Diversity Fund committee (including the AppSec NZ Treasurer, who will process reimbursements).
If you have any questions, feel free to drop us an email.