Call for Sponsors
2023 OWASP New Zealand Day
The 2023 OWASP New Zealand Day conference will be held in Auckland on Thursday and Friday, 7-8 July, 2023. This event is unique among New Zealand security conferences, in that it’s entirely dedicated to application security. AppSec New Zealand Incorporated is, once again, managing the logistics and finances for the event. This year, we have been able to secure a licensing arrangement with the OWASP Foundation, allowing us to return to the event’s traditional “OWASP New Zealand Day” branding.
Due to scheduling conflicts at the University of Auckland, we have been unable to secure our usual venue. In 2022 and 2023, we’ll be hosted at the Auckland University of Technology’s city campus, in the Sir Paul Reeves (WG) Building. The shift to our alternative venue has both increased our costs and reduced the event’s capacity (assuming COVID Alert Level 1) from 1,000 to 750.
We strive to keep the costs for delegates low, and provide financial support for students, unwaged, and members of under-represented groups. Thanks to the continuing generosity of our Premier Sponsors, we have been able to consistently deliver an instructive, high-quality event for the New Zealand community. AppSec New Zealand is strictly not for profit and is a registered New Zealand charity (Charity Number CC59162). Sponsorship funds are used to make the OWAS New Zealand Day conference a compelling and valuable experience for all delegates.
Sponsorship funds collected are used for things such as:
- Venue - Room use and on-site management fees
- Delegate Badges - We feel that getting to know people within the New Zealand community is important, and name tags make that possible
- Promotion - We would like to reach a wider audience, by utilising paid advertising and online promotion for the event
- Printed Materials - Printed materials will include conference programs, badge lanyards, delegate tote bags, volunteer and delegate t-shirts, and information and room signage
- Recognition Items - We love our speakers and trainers, and wish to show them our appreciation with small gifts
- Catering - To promote a collegial environment for networking among application security professionals, we’re scheduling three (3) catered tea breaks
- Administration - While we do our best to keep day-to-day administrative and operating costs low, we do need to cover ongoing expenses such as insurance, accounting services, and storage fees
Due to increased service fees and catering charges, the overall budget for this year’s conference is approximately 15% larger than for last year’s event. The rates for our Premier Sponsorship packages have been increased slightly to help defray these increased costs.
The 2020 OWASP New Zealand Day was supported by 13 premier sponsors and attracted more than 800 delegates. For more information on previous OWASP New Zealand Day events, please visit the OWASP New Zealand Chapter’s website.
Attendance for the first AppSec New Zealand Conference, in February 2021, was a bit lower, with approximately 650 delegates attending in person. 2021 also marked our first experience with live-streaming the event, with approximately 300 live-stream registrations. Considering it was our first event under the new name, our first attempt at hosting a two-day conference - and the event ended just 30 hours before Auckland’s first “snap lockdown” - we consider the event a great success. Those constraints notwithstanding, the AppSec New Zealand Conference was supported by 15 Premier Sponsors, which allowed us to provide travel and training assistance to 33 delegates.
In 2022, we returned to the OWASP New Zealand Day brand. We were able to hold a hybrid conference, in July, after many COVID-related restrictions had been relaxed; despite this, in-person attendance (450) was lower than hoped, while we enjoyed a strong online participation through our live-stream offering. The event was supported by 17 sponsors, and our first ever sponsored LEGO Build was popular with conference attendees.
The activities of AppSec New Zealand, including this conference, are organised to align with and support the educational objectives of the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Foundation and its local chapter, OWASP New Zealand (owasp.org.nz). The OWASP New Zealand community is strong, with more than 500 people currently subscribed to the mailing list (sign up).
Those who regularly attend AppSec conferences include IT project managers, IT security managers, IT security consultants, Web application architects and developers, QA managers, QA testers and system administrators.
Throughout its 12 years of operation under the local OWASP chapter, the OWASP New Zealand Day conference attracted more than 90% of its delegates and presenters from within New Zealand. This year, we anticipate pre-registrations for the conference will regain much the ground lost versus pre-COVID numbers, and on-the-day attendance will be 650 or more.
About AppSec New Zealand
The conference is organised and conducted by AppSec New Zealand, a all-volunteer, NZ-based Incorporated Society (Registration #50041020, Charity Number CC59162). The primary purposes of AppSec New Zealand are to:
- organise and conduct application security conferences, training, and other educational events; and
- provide financial and other support for educational activities which advance awareness of, understanding of, and opportunities in application security.
How to Become a Sponsor
To express interest in supporting the conference as a sponsor, please contact us by email.
Premium Sponsorship Packages
Highlights of Changes for 2023
This year, we’ve made a few slight adjustments to our Premier Sponsorship packages:
- Each Premier Sponsor package includes a number of free conference passes and conference t-shirts ($40 value per person)
- Each Sponsor Exhibition space (“booth”) includes a number of vouchers, for our catered lunch each day.
LEGO Build and Video Sponsorship
In addition to the tiered sponsorship packages detailed below, we’re continuing this exciting a la carte opportunity: A LEGO Build Sponsorship! Beginning with the 2022 conference, we’ve added a Delegate Lounge, adjacent to the Sponsor Exhibition Area. In the Delegate Lounge, conference participants will be able to take part in group builds of several LEGO sets throughout the conference.
The conference A/V team will capture time-sequenced photos of the build area, and will present a first-cut version of the stop-motion video during the closing session on Friday afternoon. The LEGO Build sponsor will be recognised at the beginning and end of the video, to be published on the OWASP New Zealand Chapter’s YouTube channel and promoted through social media.
In addition, all LEGO sets will be awarded to conference delegates during the prize giving at our closing session. The LEGO Build sponsor will be invited to the stage to draw the names of all LEGO prize winners. All LEGO sets completed during the conference will be included as part of the top LEGO prize; each incomplete/unopened set will be awarded as a separate prize.
The fee for this one-of-a-kind a la carte sponsorship is $5,000, to cover the costs of purchasing the LEGO sets and producing the video. Other associated sponsor benefits are similar to those of a Silver sponsorship.
Premier Sponsor Fees and Benefits
All amounts listed are in New Zealand dollars (NZD), and are exclusive of GST.
|Exhibition Space Fee||Incl.||Incl.||$450||$300||$300||$300|
|Banner in Conference Lobby (see notes)||Yes (2)||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Banner at Side of Stage (see notes)||Yes (3)||Yes (2)||Yes (1)||No||No||No|
|Banner at Pre-Conference Reception (see notes)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Banner in Delegate Lounge (see notes)||No||No||No||No||No||Yes (2)|
|Priority Demo Room Access||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Company Description on Conference Web Page||400 words||300 words||200 words||150 words||100 words||150 words|
|Company Spotlight Description on Web Page (see notes)||100 words||100 words||100 words||100 words||No||100 words|
|Pre-Conference Reception Tickets||10||8||6||4||2||4|
|Exhibitor Passes (see notes)||8||6||4||2||2||2|
|Free Conference Passes (see notes)||20||15||10||5||5||5|
|Training Credits (see notes)||16||12||8||4||2||No|
|Logo on Delegate Badges||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Logo on Conference T-Shirts||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Logo on Room Signs||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Logo on Conference Tote Bags||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Logo on Conference Website||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Mention in Pre-Conference Publicity||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Recognition during Opening/Closing Sessions||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Promotional Items in Conference Tote Bags (see notes)||Yes
(up to 5)
(up to 3)
(up to 2)
|Yes (1)||Yes (1)||Yes (1)|
In 2020, the OWASP New Zealand Day team introduced the Sponsor Exhibition Area, with space provided as part of each sponsorship package. Some sponsors, however, didn’t wish to make use of the space provided. For this year’s conference, we’ve made the exhibition space an optional add-on for some sponsorship levels, so those sponsors can decide whether to have a booth.
The diagram below depicts the planned arrangement of exhibition spaces in the WG Building Atrium.
Unless otherwise requested, each exhibition space will be provided power strips (two (2) each in Diamond and Platinum spaces, one (1) each in others), and all tables will be fully draped. Booths will be configured by the venue team on Wednesday morning, and will be available for sponsor staff to set up after noon on Wednesday (6 July). If desired, sponsors are welcome to staff their booths on Wednesday afternoon, through the close of pre-conference training (5:30 p.m.).
Optional Video Displays:
55” Flat-Panel Displays: The venue’s A/V support team can provide 55” HDMI-compatible displays on fixed stands, for use in sponsor exhibition spaces. The cost is $500 each, which includes use of the display during the main conference (Friday and Saturday), delivery/pick-up, and on-site setup. The Diamond sponsor’s exhibition space can accommodate up to three (3) displays, Platinum Sponsor spaces can accommodate up to two (2) displays, and Gold/Silver/Bronze Sponsor spaces can accommodate one (1).
Video Wall: There is a permanently installed video wall, located above one end of the Sponsor Exhibition Area. The option is available (on a first-in, first-served basis) for one sponsor to reserve the video wall and display recorded content throughout the main conference (Thursday and Friday). The cost for this option is $600.
Our Pre-Conference Training is planned to include a mix of half-day, one-day, and two-day classes. Each Premier Sponsor package includes a number of “Training Credits,” and each credit is valid for one half-day of training for one person.
- One credit can be redeemed for a 100% discount on a half-day class, 50% discount on a one-day class, or 25% discount on a two-day class
- Credits may be combined - Use two for a 100% discount on a one-day class, or use up to four toward a two-day class
- To redeem credits, provide the name and email address of each recipient, along with the class in which they’ll be registering and the number of credits awarded. The recipient will be issued a single-use discount code, to use in registering for the specified class with the applicable discount.
- Sponsors are free to allocate training credits as they choose, provided they are not resold. If preferred, credits can be turned over to the conference’s Diversity Fund committee, for award to applicants.
Free Conference Passes:
For 2022, we have introduced a $30 per person registration fee for most delegates, while keeping the event FREE for students and unwaged delegates. For registered delegates, conference t-shirts will again be an optional purchase, at $15 each ($12 for students/unwaged).
Each sponsorship package includes a number of free conference passes (see table above). Each sponsor-supported delegate will also receive free conference t-shirt. Sponsors will be provided a set of single-use Discount Codes, which you are free to use or distribute as you wish, provided they are not resold.
Each sponsor requesting an exhibition space (“booth”), including all Diamond and Platinum sponsors, will receive passes for team members who attend the conference to staff their booth. Each Exhibitor Pass includes free registration for the conference, a conference t-shirt, and lunch vouchers for Thursday and Friday.
To claim these free registrations, sponsors must provide the names, email addresses, and t-shirt sizes of those to whom they should be issued, to the conference’s Sponsor Liaison. Please plan to provide delegate information on or before Thursday, 8 June. Sponsor delegates whose information is provided after 8 June cannot be guaranteed a t-shirt.
- Logos are to be provided by the respective sponsors, as digital files in both raster (JPEG, PNG) and vector (SVG) formats
- Logos provided for inclusion on the website should be full colour
- For signage and imprinted materials, a single-colour version of the logo should also be provided, in a separate file. If a single-colour version of the logo is not provided by the sponsor, the conference team reserves the right to electronically convert the full-colour logo to a single-colour version, or omit the sponsor’s logo from signage/imprinted items if that proves infeasible.
- Lobby and stage-side banners are to be provided by the respective sponsors, must be free-standing, and their size is subject to approval by the AppSec New Zealand Conference Committee.
- The conference venue includes two tracks, conducted in separate
auditoriums, as well as a “mini-track” in the Demo/Breakout Room.
- Diamond Sponsors may display one banner to the side of each room’s stage (two main tracks, plus Demo/Breakout ‘track’)
- Platinum Sponsors may display one banner to the side of the stage in the two main track auditoriums
- Gold Sponsors may display a banner to the side of the stage in one auditorium. Gold Sponsors may express an auditorium preference, but final locations are at the discretion of the conference team.
- Any sponsor may display a banner to the side of the main presentation area in the Demo/Breakout Room, while presenting.
- A “Sponsor Spotlight” is included on the footer of most website pages. One sponsor is selected randomly (on a weighted basis, by sponsor level) at page load, with a condensed version of the company’s description (up to 100 words), the company’s logo, and their sponsor level displayed.
- In addition, up to nine (9) other sponsors’ logos are displayed in the “Conference Sponsors” section of the footer - also selected on a weighted-random basis.
- Printed materials are limited in dimensions to A4 size - either a single sheet, printed on one or both sides; or an A4 booklet
- Small imprinted items are also acceptable - pens, stress balls, USB keys, fidget spinners, etc.
- Design of printed materials and imprinted items are subject to approval by AppSec New Zealand Conference Committee
- RECRUITMENT: In addition to the promotional item allowances included in Premium Sponsorship Packages, any sponsor may provide one A5-size card with information on actual current vacancies for which candidates are actively being sought
All amounts listed are in New Zealand dollars (NZD), and are exclusive of GST.